Northampton BBOB's vs Rugby St Andrews 1s

Counties 3 League Champions


Tim Cray

3/23/20242 min read

Northampton BBOB 10 Rugby St Andrews 34

Counties 3 Midlands East (South)

Saints travelled to face their promotion rivals Northampton BBOB and produced one of their best performances of the season to secure a bonus point win and the league title.

Saints came under early pressure from their hosts but weathered the early onslaught but BBOB did take the lead after 15 minutes through a penalty. Saints worked their way into the game, going through the phases and trusting the processes that had served them well during the season, they were rewarded after 21 minutes when the scores were levelled courtesy of a Chris Halcrow penalty. Saints took play straight back into the BBOB half from the restart and after pressuring the home line the ball was moved blind to winger Elliott Hudson who crossed wide out but managed to get close enough to the posts which allowed Chris Halcrow to add the extras. Saints were then hit with a double injury blow as 2 players left the field requiring hospital treatment, BBOB took advantage as Saints reorganised and after sustained pressure found a gap in midfield to cross under the posts for a converted try to level the game. Saints retook the lead with 5 minutes of the half left, moving the ball wide to allow winger Ben Davison enough space to squeeze over in the corner.

Saints came out for the second half and produced an excellent 40 minutes. Good interplay between backs and forwards made ground and the ball found winger Elliott Hudson whose pace took him past the remaining defenders to cross for a try, converted by Chris Halcrow to open up a two-score lead. The game became a stop start affair with both sides suffering from knocks requiring treatment due to the ferocity of the tackling but winger Elliott Hudson was on hand to cross for his third try of the afternoon after 58 minutes. Saints were now well on top and keeping BBOB pinned in their own half for long periods with some excellent defensive line speed and crunching tackles, they were rewarded with a fifth try five minutes from the end when a series of forward drives were thwarted before Tom Muat spotted the smallest of gaps to dive over under the posts for a try converted by Joe Hudson. Saints held out for the remaining minutes and the final whistle was greeted with load cheers from the travelling support as Saints clinched the league title in style.

A great performance by the squad of 20 selected on the day but credit must also go to all of the players who have played for the 1st XV this season, together with the second team and colts players who have provided valuable support in training and pushed the squad to improve as the number of available players increased over the months. Thanks must also go to the new Senior Coaching team of Ian “Spanner” Spencer, Max Carlton and Alan Parish who have turned out in all weathers to guide the payers and lay the foundations for some exciting Rugby, the medical support who have patched up the players over the coarse of a tough season and the Committee who have backed the payers, lastly the excellent support from the touchline both home and away that has been instrumental in the whole club having this successful season.

Saints have a well earned week off for Easter and then finish their league campaign on 6th April when they entertain Deepings in what will be a day of celebration for a successful league season, attention will then switch to the Papa Johns Community Cup with Saints receiving a Bye in the first round before facing the winners of the Trentham and Keyworth match on 20th April (full details will be posted on Social Media when opponents and venue have been confirmed)